SENIOR GROUNDS MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN
Company: City of Longmont Colorado
Posted on: May 20, 2023
20230228 Senior Grounds Maintenance Technician
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled
APPLY ONLINE AT LONGMONTCOLORADO.GOV/JOBS
Department: External Services
Division: Parks & Natural Resources
Hiring Range: $27.40 - $30.45/hour
Typically Monday - Friday, 7:00am - 3:30pm. Evenings or weekends as need.
Regular Full-time with Benefits
Benefits include: Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending, Defined Benefit Pension
Plan, 401(a) Money Purchase Plan, Life & Survivor, Term Life & AD&D, Long Term
Disability, Bereavement, Jury & Witness Duty, FMLA, Military Leave, Sick,
Vacation, Holiday pay, EAP, Tuition Assistance.
Other benefits: Optional, employee elected, voluntary benefits are available.
Open Until Filled positions may close without advance notice. To be considered, please
apply as soon as possible.
Assist in planning the maintenance of community parks, neighborhood parks, athletic fields,
trails and greenways, and arterial landscaping. Perform a wide variety of tasks related to
equipment operation, grounds/turf maintenance, construction and repair of City Parks and
This is an advanced career level core parks maintenance position within the Public Works and
Natural Resources Department that requires a diversity of knowledge and worker flexibility in
the areas of parks operations and maintenance. The work emphasis for this position is to work
independently or in teams, and to occasionally lead projects, and assist Department supervisors
and managers with training, and achieving strategic goals and objectives. Employees are
expected to collaborate directly with supervisors in the operation and maintenance of the
related infrastructure including staff training, project planning, project management, liaison to
other Divisions, and contractor/vendor coordination. Persons in these positions are expected to
have a broad organizational perspective and may represent the work unit, division or
department as opportunities occur. In addition to routine, core work assignments, employees
are expected to demonstrate diverse skill sets and take on flexible work assignments. Training
will be provided as needed to develop diverse skills and knowledge.
* Service Oriented, Positive Attitude, Helpful.
* Trustworthy, Adheres to Ethics & Regulations.
* Collaborative, Team Oriented, Interacts Respectfully.
* Productive, Takes Initiative, Meets Deadlines, Achieves Results.
* Safe & Manages Risks to Minimize Incidents.
* Build effective working relationships with co-workers, and communicate and collaborate
with contractors, vendors and customers.
* Critically analyze operations and equipment performance and implement effective
* Work with staff in other Divisions to deliver shared work or to complete cross-Division
* Anticipate possible problems and consequences of situations and make decisions or take
necessary steps to solve problems.
* Adhere to applicable standards, protocols and operating plans.
* Demonstrate a general curiosity about the job, and conduct research and technology
reviews, and share information.
* Complete assigned tasks with quality and address important details.
* Assist in planning, organizing, overseeing, and participating in parks maintenance including
inspections, mowing, weed control, seeding, tree trimming, pest control, irrigation
management and control, and physical facilities maintenance.
* Supervise and participate in the application of fertilizers and chemicals.
* Operate and maintain parks, athletic field and arterial landscape irrigation systems.
* Supervise, assist and train less experienced personnel. Work alone or as a member of a
* Assign and perform parks maintenance operations without major impact to park users.
* Review work requirements and schedule personnel and equipment in accordance with job
* Inspect and maintain turf areas, shrubs, trees, shelters and restrooms, and help resolve
work problems and identify needed resources.
* Assist in the development and maintenance of work management and asset management
systems including data entry, reporting, reviewing reports, and identifying work priorities.
* Use of work management systems to plan and complete work assignments.
* Performs essential duties and additional tasks in a manner which enhances City Attributes.
Work is performed outside most of the time, under varying and extreme weather conditions.
Work includes exposure to noise, dust, pollen, gases and oils, solvents and chemicals including a
variety of herbicides, fungicides, pesticides and fertilizers. Work requires ability to communicate
and work cooperatively with employees and the public. Work requires ability to read and
understand pesticide labels, material safety data sheets, and equipment manuals and ability to
perform written record keeping. Incumbents are required to work overtime, holidays, and
adjusted schedules as needed. Incumbents in this position must be able to meet the physical
requirements necessary to do the job.
Three or more years of increasingly responsible experience in the construction and maintenance
of community/neighborhood parks, athletic fields and/or arterial landscaping. Completion of
community first aid and defensive driving training. General knowledge of horticulture, turf
management, irrigation principles and general understanding of mechanics. Must be able to
read and interpret As-Built drawings and operations manuals.
Qualifications: Possession of a valid Colorado Driver's License. Based on the area of
assignment, certain licensing and/or certification will be required:
o CPR and First Aid Certification.
o And one or more of the following.
o Certified Pesticide Applicators certification at the minimum of a qualified supervisor.
o Electrical Troubleshooting
o Pump repair and maintenance
o Certified Irrigation Technician
o Playground Inspection certification
o Traffic control flagger certification
We're committed to building a team that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. The
City may consider an equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education, and experience to
meet minimum qualifications, and encourages all candidates to apply and help us achieve our
goal of creating an inclusive and equitable workplace.
The selection process will include complete job description review, personal interview, physical
abilities testing, background investigation, criminal background check, and substance screening.
DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
An ONLINE APPLICATION is required. This job is Open Until Filled. The online application
process is available for this position on our website at www.longmontcolorado.gov/jobs.
Resumes will be accepted in lieu of the full City Application; however, they must be submitted
via the City application site for consideration. Open Until Filled positions may close without
advance notice. To be considered, please apply as soon as possible. For more information,
call (303) 651-8609.
The City of Longmont offers Equal Opportunity for employment to all qualified applicants. It is the policy of the City
of Longmont not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation,
age, ancestry, veteran status, or disability unless related to a bona fide occupational requirement. If you need special
assistance in the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department in advance to make
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
ALL CITY OF LONGMONT FACILITIES ARE SMOKE FREE
Keywords: City of Longmont Colorado, Longmont , SENIOR GROUNDS MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN, Professions , Longmont, Colorado
here to apply!