Company: City of Longmont Colorado
Posted on: May 20, 2023
20230215 Senior Planner
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled
APPLY ONLINE AT LONGMONTCOLORADO.GOV/JOBS
Department: External Services
Division: Planning Development Services
Hiring Range: $7,172 - $7,969/month
Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm
Occasional evenings and weekends required
Regular Full-time with Benefits
Benefits include: Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending, Defined Benefit Pension
Plan, 401(a) Money Purchase Plan, Life & Survivor, Term Life & AD&D, Long Term
Disability, Bereavement, Jury & Witness Duty, FMLA, Military Leave, Sick,
Vacation, Holiday pay, EAP, Tuition Assistance.
Other benefits: Optional, employee elected, voluntary benefits are available.
Open Until Filled positions may close without advance notice. To be considered, please
apply as soon as possible.
Perform project management of complex and large scale projects including management of
professional, technical and clerical personnel. Perform technical and public contact duties
primarily in the land development area; and/or long range planning activities.
This is the advanced journey-level class in the Planner series. Work of this class involves the
responsibility for coordinating, managing and resolving project issues, developing research and
work methods, and exercising project management of professional, technical and clerical
personnel engaged in a broad range of planning programs. Individuals perform complex
planning work requiring a substantial level of professional training and experience. General
direction is provided by the Principal Planner, Planning Manager or Planning Director regarding
project management. Positions in this class are generally filled by advancement from the
Planner class or by meeting the qualifications identified below.
* Serve as project manager in functional areas of either long-range or current planning while
conducting advanced technical work assuming responsibility for project quality, scheduling
* Manage and review complex development applications ranging from site plans to large
annexations that include preparing written reports, coordinating and resolving issues
among different City departments and outside groups, and overall project management
(including developing work plans for project and timely completion).
* Manage the development of neighborhood, corridor center or other area plans.
* Manage the development and implementation of regulations for the City of Longmont.
* Manage professional consultants for the development of plans, specifications, studies,
and/or reports. Negotiate consulting agreements and contracts. Resolve issues and
administrative matters related to those projects.
* Review and make recommendations regarding diverse planning projects.
* Assist in the implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities contained in the
City's Comprehensive Plan.
* Prepares and recommends updates to the Comprehensive Plan.
* Conduct and oversee research analysis and the use of a variety of data including studies of
land use, population, social and economic conditions, housing, community facilities,
historic preservation, and transportation.
* Coordinate, review, and participate in the work of professional and technical employees in
data collection, analyses, plan formulation and implementation of a variety of planning,
and environmental review activities.
* Work with citizen groups, neighborhood groups, advisory committees, or individual
citizens (as may be appropriate) on issues of planning and community interest.
* Represent the Planning and Development Services Division and City of Longmont at public
* Present technical reports and proposals to the Development Review Committee, Historical
Preservation Commission, Planning and Zoning Commission, and City Council and other
boards or commissions as required.
* Prepare ordinances and resolutions.
* Perform field inspections and/or review construction and final acceptance of development
* Meet with and advise developers regarding development applications and processes.
* Explains purpose of City regulations and directives of accepted development practices.
* Provide zoning, land use, demographics, historic preservation and other planning related
information to the public.
* Prepare various applications for state and federal grants.
* Provide consistently professional and responsive customer service.
* Performs essential duties and additional tasks in a manner which enhances City Attributes.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment, but occasionally requires visits to
development sites that may require walking and standing on slippery or uneven walking
surfaces and exposure to inclement weather. Work entails considerable reading, writing, and
mathematical reasoning. Must be able to analyze and interpret a variety of data including
statistical and demographic data, standards, and specifications, read and understand maps,
plans, and other graphics. Must be able to effectively communicate orally and in writing. Work
duties will involve making oral presentations to large groups. Must be able to operate personal
computer and associated software for data entry and word processing, which may include
repetitive motion for up to 8 hours per day. Night meeting attendance required.
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree from an
accredited college or university with major course work in planning or a related field and four or
more years of increasingly responsible professional planning experience comparable to that of
an Planner with the City of Longmont. Local government experience preferred. A Master's
Degree in planning or a related field may substitute for one year of professional planning
Qualifications: AICP membership is preferred.
The selection process will include complete job description review, personal interview, computer
testing, background investigation, criminal background check, and substance screening.
DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
An ONLINE APPLICATION is required. This job is Open Until Filled. The online application
process is available for this position on our website at www.longmontcolorado.gov/jobs.
Resumes will be accepted in lieu of the full City Application; however, they must be submitted
via the City application site for consideration. Open Until Filled positions may close without
advance notice. To be considered, please apply as soon as possible. For more information,
call (303) 651-8609.
The City of Longmont offers Equal Opportunity for employment to all qualified applicants. It is the policy of the City
of Longmont not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation,
age, ancestry, veteran status, or disability unless related to a bona fide occupational requirement. If you need special
assistance in the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department in advance to make
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
ALL CITY OF LONGMONT FACILITIES ARE SMOKE FREE
Keywords: City of Longmont Colorado, Longmont , SENIOR PLANNER, Other , Longmont, Colorado
here to apply!